Welcome! I’m Amy!
Hi! I am Amy, the face and voice behind Everyday Outdoor Family! I am a world-traveler turned Midwesterner and mom. I hope to encourage families to see the beauty and find adventures in Kansas City, the Midwest and beyond and tips and destinations to get outdoors.
I grew up in the Dallas Fort Worth area before getting my undergraduate degree in Strategic Communications from the University of Kansas School of Journalism. After graduation, I spent four years traveling the world, teaching English in South Korea, backpacking through Southeast Asia and India, and serving in the Peace Corps in Bulgaria.
When I came back to the states, I knew the Midwest was where I wanted to be. I got my Masters in Public Administration focusing in Nonprofit Management from the University of Missouri – Kansas City. I met my husband and settled down (as much as I ever will). We have identical twin 6-year-old girls and a 3-year-old son.
I didn’t grow up outdoorsy, but after having very premature twins who have been hospitalized multiple times due to illnesses, we have taken to outdoor adventures as a way to keep them healthy. Now I backpack, bikepack, paddle, bike, and more with three little kids!
Although I have traveled the world, I love finding local destinations to explore. The Midwest is a hidden gem, with outdoor adventures, culture, and beautiful cities. I love sharing that the Midwest isn’t for flying over, but is filled with worthy destinations and family-fun.
Work with me! Are you a tourism board, brand, or experience looking to partner?
Fun Facts About Me!
- I’m left handed.
- I speak Bulgarian.
- I have Celiac Disease and cannot eat gluten.
- My husband is from Canada.
- I have been to 45 countries and the 48 continental US States.
- I would like to take my kids to all the States.
- Although we mostly tour the US now, I would love to travel internationally with my children as they grow.
Midwest State Parks:
- Elephant Rocks State Park, MO
- Starved Rock State Park, IL
- Turkey Run State Park, IN
- Maquoketa Caves State Park, IA
- Hocking Hills, OH
- St. Louis, MO
- Omaha, NE
- Bentonville, AR
- Des Moines, IA
- Chicago, IL
- North Shore, MN
- Apostle Islands, WI
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MI
- Mark Twain National Forest, MO
- Lucas, Kansas and Wilson Lake
Kansas City Hiking Spots:
- Cave Spring
- Carl Chinnery Trail
- Green Hills of Platte County
- Burr Oak Woods
- Mill Creek Streamway